Wednesday 19 July 2017

Nom Nom! Pesto time again!

Hello Friends,
I don't know HOW today has disappeared so fast. And as for this year, it seems like only a couple of months have passed since I was making last year's pesto. My Mum always says that feeling that time is whizzing by faster is a sure sign of getting older. On that positive note, I think I'll go back to the pesto........


Our basil crop is fab this year. It's always one of two extremes here, either a greenhouse border edged with fragrant green lushness.......................or a tragic terracotta pot hosting a collection of stalks & reluctant leaves. So glad 2017's another good year, as we love pesto & it's so easy to make & can be pretty much adapted with whatever flavours you want to put in.


 I use the quantities from Delia Smith's Summer recipe book, but although I really like the authentic one, I've used walnuts & cheddar today, instead of pine nuts & pecorino or parmesan, as they are what I had in. You need 50g fresh basil leaves to make one quantity but I usually wait until I can get a really good basket of basil & scale it up.


I save small plastic pots from buying hummous, olives, etc, for dividing up & freezing pesto. I'm not sure freezing is recommended, but it seems to work fine & still has plenty of flavour when it comes out for livening up our pasta in the middle of winter. 

Albert Whiskers has been for his MOT today.......jabs, check-up, etc. He was dispatched with a small packet containing a worm tablet. Much sinking of heart........we do not have a good track record of getting tablets down cats. If I have not yet done a blog post to date on the Sorry Tale of How We Once Spent A Whole Afternoon Of Our Lives trying to get a worm tablet down our grey tabby, Willow, then I may have to subject you to this story. Even after 15 years, it will provide catharsis. Albert Whiskers is not nearly as clever as Willow, who had the mind of a criminal genius. I am still feeling fairly positive that a pill wrapped in a piece of pastrami, especially if we pretend it's come out of Steve's sandwich, will do the trick!
No thunder yet. So far, the big storms & mega-rain forecast for this afternoon have amounted to about 6 pathetic plibs of rain. Shall have to get the hose out & water the veggies after all at this rate, so boo to that.
OK, must go & get bread out of oven,
Till next time,
C x


No comments:

Post a Comment