Tuesday 23 May 2017

In which Mrs Tightwad plants her climbing beans

Hello Friends,
Election campaigning was suspended today, following the tragic killing of concert goers in Manchester last night. As I'd planned to make a start on my rounds, I unexpectedly found myself with a clear day in my diary, so used it to progress the veggie garden (or National Collection of Weeds, as would be currently more appropriate). 

Our climbing beans (variety 'Fasold') have been hardening off for the past week or so & the weather forecast looks OK for the next week, so off they went, into a bed prepped by the Bigger Hairier Half of the Relationship at the weekend.



As you can see, I've been up to my recycling tricks again. If you have access to a supply of used 'disposable' coffee cups, bring them home, rinse them & stash them. Then you'll never be tempted to pay actual money for the 'root trainer' trays which Monty Don was demonstrating on 'Gardener's World' recently. Beans like a deep root run & they get just that with recycled coffee cups, which are free & are generally off to landfill anyway, so it's win-win.



So, into the earth they went. I haven't grown this variety before but the seed packet said 'Huge crops', which is what I like, as we positively welcome gluts here at the 'People & Cats Republic'.


Other little bits of 'Pay now't resourcefulness - old CDs re-purposed yet again as sparrow scarers, an old fence post as the top brace-pole & lots of my horsey friend's invaluable & completely unbreakable Amazing Orange String! And at the top of the structure? 


A metal frog! Well why not? He came off a broken tap handle & I couldn't bring myself to throw him away. I wonder if our garden frog population will look up & think "What a hero, to get all the way up there!"
Albert Whiskers ate his breakfast jelly & spent the rest of the morning on my deckchair. I put it up. He suddenly appeared out of the bushes. I popped in to put the kettle on the hob. In less than a minute he was on my chair. I went out & moved him (much growling & chuntering ensued.........swear box, Albert Whiskers) and had the seemingly bright idea of putting my glasses & book on the seat so he couldn't get back on. What a pointless exercise. Came back out with my coffee & he was sitting on them! Repeat x 3. <sighs>


He'll be trotting in soon, demanding another top-up of jelly.
Broad beans tomorrow. Will I ever catch up?
Have a peaceful evening all. I think I'll light a candle for the Manchester bomb victims tonight & for all those whose lives have been lost or destroyed by extremism & zealotry.
Talk to you tomorrow.
C x












No comments:

Post a Comment